Thursday, February 28, 2008

License!

I can't believe it, I think I'm going to go throw up and pass out now. I did it - I just applied for my business license.

Wow.

What's amazing and truly fabulous about this is that this project has been in the works for upwards of 3 years. When ExBF and I got together, I was doing art - doing poetry, painting, doing little things, having a good time at that. And before that, I had dreams of actually finishing both the Zoology and the art degree - even though we all know how that one turned out. Then, about year 2 of being with ExBF, I started to realize that people would pay money for my work, and seemed to really like it. So I made more of them, put together an extremely lame - o website, and didn't do anything further with it. Somehow Real Life (tm) turned out to get in the way one way or the other - either I was dealing with a (then) BF crisis, or totally broke, or being convinced that I should go to graduate school. So it never happened, I moved my art supplies a few times, and then eventually threw them away.

Then, went to school, and I told my (fashionable and wise) friend that my Super Secret Plan was to become an artist and ditch all this public health stuff. She thought that was a good idea. I sort of blew it off, kept making art and not making any money at it, and totally buying into the idea that what I needed was a Real Job, and the business never happened.

Fast forward to last fall - my relationship was falling apart, I had a lot of time on my hands, and somehow I was able to hear that Yes, this was a good idea. Now sans ExBF, I have time, money, and space to work with, and things start to fall together.

Sure, I made an etsy site (not ready for public consumption yet), but it didn't seem real. Made my first sale. But today, today it seems real - I'm going to have a license. Yeesh.

No comments: